The popularity and widespread use of social media has made the world a smaller place. With just a click of your keyboard, you can connect with someone across the globe. So often, we use social media to catch up with friends, share pictures or pin the latest recipes, but can we use it for more? Why not use social media to reach people for Jesus? Why not talk to a member of an unreached people group and allow them to hear the gospel for the first time? Use your media prowess for something other than self gain or entertainment and truly make a difference for the Kingdom.
How to Use Facebook to Reach an Unreached People Group
1. Pray and ask God to lead you through this whole process.
2. Pick an unreached people group you want to reach by going to JoshuaProject.net
3. Find out what language they speak.
4. Find a evangelistic website or tool in their language. You can do this couple different ways:
a. Click on the language directly underneath the language tab from the unreach people group you picked on JoshuaProject.net and then click on the different tabs and explore available resources in that language.
b. Google evangelistic websites in the language you are looking for. A good thing to keep in mind when picking a site is if there is enough information on the site to allow for them to keep discovering about Jesus if they are interested. And keep in mind you want a site that clearly shares the gospel and offers some sort of discipleship material if they do surrender their life to Jesus.
5. Once you found the specific article, video or website you want to make an ad out of copy the url and head over to facebook.com/advertising and click Create an Ad and sign in.
6. Paste you url where it says Choose a Facebook Destination or Enter url and hit Enter
7. Click Suggest an Ad
8. Click Upload an Image. Pick a eye catching photo even if it isn’t really related. You can save as a google image of trendy trees or something.
9. On the facebook ads page scroll down an you’ll see where it says Choose your audience. This is the most important part. Go back to Joshua Project to the unreached people group you picked and look at a map of what city the majority of them live. You might have to open www.google.com/maps to help you identify the exact city. Once you’ve identified the city (or cities) click City under location and then type those cities into the facebook Choose your Audience.
10. Scroll down to where it says, Campaign, Pricing and Schedule. Give the campaign a name (whatever you’d like).
11. Pick your campaign budget. What is your final cost that you are willing to pay?
12. Click the button where it says Cost per Thousand Impressions.
13. Look at the Suggested Bid on the right of your screen and put the minimum amount in the Cost per Thousand Impressions box.
14. Click Place order.
Facebook will then keep you updated on the reach and how many people saw the ad and clicked on the ad.
It might be neat to let people know on facebook what you just did and ask them to be praying for the people the ad is going to get in front of. Feel free to share this “How To” so we can reach more unreached people with the gospel.
Used with permission from the Missional Women website. This site encourages women to live on mission for the glory of God.